Mission Santa Clara de Asís

Mission Santa Clara de Asís

Mission Santa Clara de Asís, located in Santa Clara, approximately 40 miles southeast of San Francisco, was the eighth mission in the chain. Founded in 1777 by Father Serra, the mission was important as the second of two settlements placed near the …

Full Article

Mission San Buenaventura

Mission San Buenaventura

Mission San Buenaventura, located in Ventura, was founded March 31, 1782 by Padre Junípero Serra and named for Saint Bonaventure. The first church was destroyed by the 1812 earthquake and rebuilt in 1816. San Buenaventura is ninth in the chain of missions and …

Full Article

Mission Santa Barbara

Mission Santa Barbara

Mission Santa Barbara, the tenth mission in the California Mission Chain, was founded on the Feast of Saint Barbara, December 4th, 1786 by Father Fermin de Lasuén. The legend holds that, when still a girl, Saint Barbara was beheaded by her father …

Full Article

Mission La Purísima Concepción

Mission La Purísima Concepción

Mission La Purísima Concepción, located in Lompoc, was founded on December 8, 1787, by Padre Lasuén and named the Immaculate Conception of Mary the Most Pure. Eleventh in the California chain of missions, the mission was situated in a rich …

Full Article

Mission Santa Cruz

Mission Santa Cruz

Mission Santa Cruz, located in the city of Santa Cruz, near the mouth of the San Lorenzo River, was the twelfth mission in the chain. It was founded on August 28, 1791, by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén and dedicated …

Full Article

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad was founded on October 9th, 1791 by Father Fermin Lasuén and named Our Lady of Solitude. It is thirteenth in the chain of the missions. In 1797, the first church was completed and enlarged …

Full Article

Mission San José

Mission San José

Mission San José (sometimes called Mission San José de Guadalupe because of the nearby pueblo named San José de Guadalupe) was founded on June 11, 1797 by Father Fermin Lasuén and named for Saint Joseph. The mission is fourteenth in …

Full Article